We know that your engagement ring holds a lot of sentimental value and is probably the most expensive piece of jewellery you own so you’ll want to keep it in excellent condition and looking its sparkly best!
Is your diamond ring beginning to look a little dull and a little less sparkly?
Don’t worry, it happens! Despite the very best of our intentions and no matter how careful we are, over time life happens and before you know it, our stunning diamonds will start to look a little less sparkly and a little dull.
In this article we will show you how to properly clean your diamond ring at home. Cleaning your diamond ring at home is easier than you might think.
How to clean your diamond ring?
To clean your engagement ring and bring back your diamond’s sparkle you will need the following items:
- A small bowl
- Warm (almost hot water)
- Dishwashing liquid/Detergent
- A soft toothbrush (or brush) and
- A soft towel
First, fill the small bowl with the warm (almost hot) water.
Next, pop your engagement ring gently into the bowl of water and let it soak for 15 minutes.
After 15 minutes use the soft toothbrush to gently brush your diamond ring. Make sure to use a gentle touch at all times when brushing around the prongs of the centre diamond as well as around any diamonds in your ring setting.
To finish, rinse your diamond ring under clean warm water and dry off with a soft towel or leave your engagement ring out to air dry.
Finally, enjoy your sparkly diamond ring!
We have created a short video on how to clean your diamond ring:
How often should I clean my diamond ring? How often should I clean my engagement ring?
To keep your diamond ring looking its best, we recommend trying to clean it at least once a month. This frequency is enough to keep everyday oil and dirt build-up on your diamond ring at bay. Monthly short cleans will ensure your engagement ring remains as sparkly as the day you got it.
We also advise taking your engagement ring to be cleaned by your jeweller about twice a year. Your jeweller will be most familiar with your engagement ring and know how to care for it properly.
If you’ve purchased your engagement ring from Just Gold Jewellery please remember we offer complimentary cleaning of your ring. Our expert and experienced jewellers will use professional grade products which will get rid of even the most hard and compacted layers of oil or dirt safely.
What not to use when cleaning your diamond ring
There are some things you should never use when cleaning your diamond ring.
You should never use household cleaners such as bleach, chlorine and turpentine/acetone as these harsh chemicals can cause damage to the metals in your ring.
Also never ever use any kind of abrasive or course products such as toothpaste, baking soda to clean your diamond ring as this will scratch the metals.
How can I care for my engagement ring on a daily basis?
Caring for your diamond ring just takes the following simple steps:
- Make sure you take off your engagement ring when you are baking, bathing, cleaning, playing sport or gardening. This avoids the ring being knocked about and scratched unintentionally.
- Avoid putting on any creams, lotions, hairspray or sunscreen while wearing your diamond ring. This avoids adding layers of oil to your ring which will result in dullness.
- Keep your diamond ring away from dust, sand and other potential abrasive agents. This one avoids the ring from being scratched up.
- Store your diamond engagement rings in a safe and secure spot.
Hope you guys enjoyed this blog and video. Please feel free give us a call or send us a message if you have any questions. Contact Us.
- Just Gold Jewellery - Sydney Engagement Ring Specialists, Sydney Diamond Specialists, Sydney Custom Made Jewellery Experts, Sydney Wedding Ring Specialists